About Armand Kainoa Chong
Dental school at the University of Missouri – Kansas City began in 1984 and lasted until 1988. He was then accepted in a General Practice Residency Program at St. Francis Medical Center from 1988-89. In 1990, he opened his own private practice and has been practicing in Honolulu ever since. Several career highlights are listed in his curriculum vitae.
From the early days of his practice in Hawaii, he encountered hundreds of trauma victims who were unable to find successful treatment for TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction), CMD (Craniomandibular Dysfunction) and Cervical Dysfunction and who thus had, through no fault of their own, become chronic pain patients. Later in his practice, he was given the responsibility of reviewing the medical/dental records of such victims for insurance companies and attorneys for purposes of Independent Medical Examinations. These records confirmed that many hundreds of trauma victims (motor vehicle accident victims, industrial accident victims, etc.) had been victimized for a second time because they did not have access to state of the art diagnostics and treatment for TMD and CMD.
He researched this problem thoroughly and was dismayed to find that poor treatment and/or mis-treatment for these victims was commonplace in Hawaii. He was shocked to discover that his home state was sadly lacking in essential diagnostics and effective treatment.
He was determined to seek expert professional clinical training for himself and his staff and to put together a diagnostic and treatment facility with modern state of the art equipment which would be the best in Hawaii. Thus was born The Hawaii TMJ Institute!
- Dentist in privately-owned practice – 1990 to present.
- FELLOW, International College Cranio-Mandibular Orthopedics (ICCMO), 2007
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner (CIME), 2006. By the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners. Only dentist in the nation.
- Founder, HAWAII TMJ INSTITUTE, 2005-Present
- Member of Board of Dental Examiners State of Hawaii 2004-Present
- Teaching Faculty University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine, Department of Geriatrics
- Official Dentist for the Hula Bowl and Aloha Bowl Football Games – 1990 to 1995.
- FELLOW, Academy of General Dentistry, 1994
- Dental Director for the Convalescent Center of Honolulu, Oahu Care Facility, Island Nursing Home, Kuakini Geriatric Center, Maunalani Nursing Center, One Kalakaua, Avalon Care Center, Leahi Hospital, Garden Isle Healthcare and Hale Kupuna.
- Licensure and Certification includes Hawaii, Colorado, Kansas and Missouri.
- TMD Residency Program, 2003- Ongoing with Dr. Terrence O’ Shaughnessy
- St. Francis Medical Center, General Practice Residency Program, 1988-89.
- University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Dentistry, 1984-88, earned D.D.S.
- Oregon State University, 1979-81, emphasis in biology.
- University of Hawaii, 1981-83, Member of the Imi Ho’ola Program.
- Chaminade University, 1983-84.
- Iolani School, graduated 1979.
- American Dental Association, Member, 1988 to present.
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, 2007
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain, 2007.
- American Academy of Pain Management, 2007.
- Academy of General Dentistry, Member and Fellow (1994), 1988 to present.
- American Board of Independent Medical Examiners, 2006 to present.
- Academy of Sports Dentistry, Member, 1990 to 2001.
- Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 1997 to 2000.
- Honolulu County Dental Society, Delegate, 1989 to present.
- Special Care Dentistry 2002 to present.
- International College of Cranio-Mandibular Orthopedics 2004 to present.
- Hawaii Dental Association 1990 to present.
Political Action Committee 1994, Dental Benefits Committee 1994-96, Young Dentist Committee 1994-96, Dental Health Committee 1996, Public Relations Committee 1994-95.
- Advanced Dental Implant Associates, Member, 1989 to 1997.
- Dental Associates of Hawaii Study Club, Past President, Member 1989 to present.
Community & Civic Organizations
- Catholic Charities Family Services, Member, Board of Directors, 1996.
- Iolani School
- Head Coach Intermediate Girls Basketball 2004. 2005
- Varsity Football Coach 1990-96 and 1998 to 2004.
- Member of the Alumni Board of Directors 1995 to 1998.
- President of the Alumni Association 1996-97.
- Member of the Board of Governors 1996-97.
- Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club, Member, 1994 to present.
- Miss Hawaii Development Board, Member, 1995 to 2000.
- Oahu Country Club
- Social Committee 1994.
- Intermediate Advisor 1995.
- Board of Directors 1995.
- House Committee 1995 to 1996.
- Membership Committee 1996 to 2000.
- Waialae Country Club 2006 – present
- Star of the Sea Parish Council
Member 1999 to 2002
Honors & Achievements
- Presenter at International Conference of the International College of Craniomandibular Orthopedics 2005.
- Graduate, Pacific Century Fellows Program for young leaders of Hawaii, 1997-98.
- Presenter at the Midwest Dental Convention, Kansas City, Missouri, 1987.
- Presenter at the Pacific Dental Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1989.
- MARC/Haumana Research Scholarship, University of Hawaii, 1981-82.
- Full tuition football scholarship, Oregon State University, 1979-81.
“The Use Of Splints For Managing TMD and Bruxism,” The Hawaii Dental Journal, May/June 2007, Vol.38 No.3